Tuesday, 24 September 2013

Joy's Happy Birthday Horses!

My good friend Joy has been a lifelong fan of horses.  So when I saw this 'Dixie the Horse and blanket' sewing pattern by My Funny Buddy, I thought a trio of horses would be a very apt way to congratulate her on reaching the big 3-0 today. 
 

The pattern was very simple but effective and I had fun choosing complimentary fabrics from the overflowing sweet shop of quilting cottons I've accumulated.  An even nicer touch to this gift is that I bought the pattern from the Create Hope Designs shop and so all the funds from their pattern sales go directly towards helping orphans and their communities in deprived areas.  


A little finishing touch I'm quite pleased with is that I cracked open my 'Freehand Machine Embroidery' book by Poppy Treffry, and wrote a special birthday message on the blanket the horse above is carrying.  It was my first ever attempt at this technique.  Rather unfortunately I chose red thread which with my shaky embroidery makes the message look somewhat like a ransom note!! Lol!

Still I hope you like your present Joy, and that you have a lovely 30th birthday today!  (The horses will be hand-delivered to England at Christmas x)

To any sewing people, I'd really encourage you to head on over to Create Hope Designs for a look at their patterns.  They're currently hosting a September Sew Along too with some really great prizes.  $100 Fat Quarter vouchers anyone?! 

6 comments :

  1. Love these so much! Thank you :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just adorable!!! I've bought the pattern, but haven't made it up yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, and for introducing me to the organisation. I bought the Faith, Hope and Love skirt at the same time inspired by your versions :)

      Delete
  3. They are so beautiful!!! Thank you for sewing along and sharing as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a great concept, and I'll definitely be doing more Create Hope Designs pattern shopping in the future :)

      Delete