Tuesday, 1 April 2014

My Ghetto Betty Mad Men Dress

As a fan of Mad Men I've been excited to take part in Julia Bobbin's 2014 Mad Men challenge and make a Betty inspired outfit.


With my plastic sunglasses, shiny fabric, and high-ish hemline, my version is definitely more ghetto Betty than glam Betty.  Though we do both share a similar bright and splodgy flower fabric and similar shift dress silhouette, so hopefully you can see past my lack of uptown elegance and spot a glimmer of Betty here somewhere!  

Source
 

 

I started this project looking for a basic shift dress pattern totally forgetting that I owned the Colette Laurel.  This ended up being effortlessly easy to make, although I did cheat and skip out the invisible zipper.  I feared my pattern matching skills weren't up to matching the two back pieces, so by leaving the zipper out and cutting only one back piece it averted an eyesore.  I then just have to do a bit of sixties style shimmying and the dress slips on ok.
  

I used the Laurel Extras booklet for guidance on how to make the sleeveless dress version.  New for me was using single bias binding as a facing for the armholes and neckline. My internal slip stitching at this stage left a lot to be desired, but luckily the print of the fabric is chaotic enough to disguise the occasional hand stitch that has strayed to the front.

 

Also new to me was sewing contour darts at the back. The diamond shaped markings looked a bit daunting on the pattern piece but were barely any different from a regular single dart.  It's also great how the accompanying 60+ page Laurel Extras booklet has beginner friendly photo tutorials for trying out some new to me techniques like making your own bias binding, ruffles and keyhole necklines.  So although it's not a wildly challenging pattern, it comes with more options for customizing it than I could ever have dreamed up myself. 


We were deluged by a spring snow storm in Montreal on Sunday and so Mr Fabric Maverick thoughtfully dug me out a path and posing area on our terrace! The absurdness of this last shot cracks me up, and makes me wonder what the neighbours must have been thinking.  To me this also embodies the spirit of Betty as I'm sure she would never let a bit of snow and sub zero temperatures stand in the way of her getting her gladrags on!


So that's my ghetto Betty outfit. Can't wait to see all the other Mad Men outfits in the round-up on Sunday!

7 comments :

  1. super cute, i love the fabric you've used!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I was thinking the fabric was a bit too bright at first, but I think my eye has adjusted as I like it more now!

      Delete
  2. Awesome! Out there in the snow! I love this little shift dress, I think it's something I could try for myself this summer?! Looks great on you and very Betty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. For sure you could make this, it was much easier than a quilt! Ps Thanks for Saturday, I've got some better (less windswept) photos of my hair that we took a couple of hour after it was cut in another dress that I'll blog soon!

      Delete
    2. You look great! I'm so happy you came, was lovely to see you.
      I may bug you for advice when I attempt some garment firsts this summer :)

      Delete
  3. I love your dress! The print is really fun!!

    ReplyDelete